Good morning. It's gray and cloudy outside at the moment, although the weather man says it isn't going to rain until tonight. Hmmm. The temperature today will be warm, reaching up into the upper 60's. This whole week, the nights will be quite cool with temps mostly in the 30's. Tomorrow's day time temp is supposed to drop about 22 degrees. Ouch!!
Yesterday, we went outside to find a spot to put the new rose bush, and Joe planted it and the tulip plants. He wasn't feeling so good, so we'll pick an afternoon during the week to start cleaning out the gardens.
After the planting was done it was time to do a couple loads of laundry. One day this week, I'll put all of Pogo's blankets (the ones he is using) into the wash. He loves clean smelling blankets. But then, don't we all?
Today I want to talk about an article in this weekend's newspaper about seasonal workers. First, here is the image and title for the article.
The article says that these same workers have been coming here for years to work these jobs. It goes on to say that employers must demonstrate they have a seasonal need, cannot find American workers for specific jobs and will pay foreign workers prevailing wages so their presence doesn't undercut the pay of American workers.
According to Laurie Flanagan, a co-chairman of the H-2B Workforce Coalition in Washington, "there is no other way to find legal seasonal workers. This delay in processing the visas is frustrating for employers who are committed to having a legal, documented workforce. They're having to put off business."
I guess the part that bothers me the most is allowing visas for workers to come in and do these jobs when we already have so many people here out of work. We are being forced to house, feed and support a lot of people already here. Why not put them to work instead and let them earn their own way? They can be trained for these jobs the same way the other workers were once trained.
Pay is obviously not the issue here, according to the article. Where are these "outside" folks being put up to live? Who is paying for that? We have a lot of people needing a place to live and a job to support themselves. Give all this space and work to them.
I don't know. I'm scratching my head trying to figure out the logic in all of this. I watch so many people working wicked hard to make ends meet, and yet we are insisting that we need to bring in outsiders to fill our jobs. Come on, America. Get real!!
Okay, that's my band box statement for the day. You know, some days I don't even open the newspaper for fear that I might find another article like this one. It gets me riled up and ruins the whole day. It's so much easier to turn on the TV and watch Sponge Bob Square Pants or Thomas The Train Engine.
I found an rather interesting image on the web that I thought I would share with you. It's a chart that shows you what to use to remove certain stains. I hope you find it helpful.
Now it's time for me to do a few things around here. I think maybe I'll run the vacuum around for a bit. The dust bunnies are getting out of hand. So, till tomorrow, Y'all have a wonderful day.
Hugs, Edna B.



0 Yorumlar